Episcopal Church Women
Our vision for all women of the Episcopal Church is that we become a vibrant blend of all ages, coming together as a peacemaking, healing part of the Church. We aspire to be a God spark* – shining and sharing the love of Christ.
* The core self, the part of us made in God’s image, spirit and soul. (source: National Episcopal Church Women)
This Vision Statement was developed by the 2003-2006 National Episcopal Church Women Board. The role of women in the Church and the world continues to change and that impacts the heart and soul of Episcopal Church Women. Verna Dozier, theologian and Biblical scholar, said, “Don’t tell me what you believe; tell me what difference it makes that you believe.” The National Board of Episcopal Church Women calls every Episcopal woman into action to make a difference. This is something women do effectively as individuals, but look at the difference that we can make when we come together to do so.
The women of ECW at St John’s are dedicated to making a difference in the life of our church. Many lives are touched and faith is strengthened in fellowship, with spiritual growth and through outreach.
We are active in fundraising to support church needs and outreach activities, organize fellowship activities including Bible studies and Senior Luncheon, support outreach activities of the church, present programs of interest to both men and women of the church, on personal and spiritual development as well as travel and community organizations.
How Does ECW Work at St John’s?
The ECW is directed by an elected board of five officers assisted by a number of at-large support members. Board meetings are on the first Thursday of every month with a hiatus in July and August. Meetings are at 10:30 AM and held in the church library. There are two general meetings a year.
On a Sunday in May there is a vote on parish use of Garden Tour funds. On a Saturday in December there is a vote on community use of Garden Tour funds, a vote on a slate of officers for the next year, and preparation of cookie tins for distribution. The June board meeting includes cleaning and reorganizing the kitchens, then sharing a lunch. All parish women are heartily encouraged to attend any board or general meeting.
Garden Tour is our biggest fund raising project that involves the entire church. Garden Tour began 33 years ago and has a strong organization of leaders who fine tune the project year after year. The profits are shared with community organizations, used to fill parish needs, and provide kitchen supplies. For more information on Garden Tour, click here.
Other Ministries of ECW Include:
- Tuesday Morning Women’s Bible Study Groups (contact Mary Hall at 879-0524). Click here for more information on Bible studies.
- Senior Luncheon is a monthly gathering on the third Tuesday at 11-30am. The lunch includes interesting speakers and fellowship. Click here for schedule.
- United Thank Offering which is a collection taken in the fall to support United Thank Offering missions.
- All parish Thanksgiving potluck dinner featuring a feast of fall foods.
- Hospitality needs – We prepare and host funeral, memorial and special receptions.
- Women’s retreat is usually held each spring.
- Coffee hours Volunteers prepare coffee, tea and food (to volunteer, contact Linda Bates 893-1862)
- Stitch and Chatter Activities We gather to sew various projects for outreach such as making Pillowcase dresses for girls in Africa. (contact Elisabeth Stewart 891-5060),
- Summer ice cream socials offered at Coffee Hour through the summer
- Monthly monitoring of kitchens is completed by ECW volunteers.
- Maintaining kitchen supplies.